Dippy @ The Natural History Museum
At 1pm on May 12th 1905 the exact plaster replica of the fossilised dinosaur skeleton was revealed in a special ceremony. It was the first full skeleton of a sauropod dinosaur to go on display in the world. Sauropods were the very large, plant-eating dinosaurs, with famously long necks and tails.
Dippy was donated to the Museum by Scottish-born millionaire Andrew Carnegie after King Edward VII saw an illustration of the original skeleton, which was at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, and requested a copy.
The cast is a replica of a near-complete Diplodocus carnegii skeleton uncovered in the western USA in 1898. Casts of the missing bones were made from 4 other Diplodocus specimens.
It took 18 months to make the cast. After its completion in 1904, it was shipped to England in 36 crates.
It takes 2 staff 2 days to clean its 292 bones.
Originally placed in the Reptile Gallery, Dippy was completely taken apart during the Second World War and placed in the Museum's basement to avoid damage during the bombing raids on London.
In 1979, Dippy was placed in the Central Hall, the perfect place to greet visitors as they enter the Museum.
|camera||Canon EOS 550D|
|exposure mode||full manual|